Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Clarification

So over the last year since I worked with Sean and Discovery I have had a lot of people ask how I got the job driving TIV and working on the film crew. I suspect a lot of people especially ask because I haven't been storm chasing for as many years as some. Out of jealousy and resentment some bridges have been burned as well and in my opinion for immature and no good reasons. I wanted to clarify that driving TIV was not a storm chasing job, our mission was an IMAX film, and driving the vehicle took extreme situational awareness. My background consists of video production, and transportation (aviation specifically) which requires a lot of situational awareness to fly aircraft. These were two important attributes to have that did not have anything to do with the storm chasing community. I was not a forecaster... so meteorology was not a priority. I did meet the right people at the right time, and did some networking. After getting the job I was just as excited as anyone would be, and I spent some time sharing with everyone I know. Some people took it the wrong way, and others supported me. I was not trying to be flashy in a way that said haha look what job I have and you dont. I was just being proud of my job and sharing it with everyone I could. Finding my true loyal and supportive colleagues was easy after that, because people would go one way or the other. I have been accused of turning storm chasing into a business and losing passion for what its really for, but thats extremely wrong. I believe creating a business is not only smart but even more passionate, because you are striving to do it anyway you can. Sean for instance is passionate about film making and storm chasing, who should criticize him while hes doing what he loves and was intelligent enough to figure it out. Its too bad that some of you cant just go out and enjoy storms and get over some of that instead of gossiping and attempting to attack personally.

No comments: